SPROUTED LENTIL & KALE SOUP | Integrator 3
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
YIELD: SERVES 4 - 6
Sprouting Lentils helps to complete their protein profile, increases the bioavailable B vitamins, increases iron and copper and reduces the gut disruptive anti-nutrients like phytate and Lectins.
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Medium yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 3 Medium organic carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 fennel stalks trimmed and sliced
- 3 Small turnips cut into small chunks
- 3 Garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 2 Ribs of organic celery – sliced
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 3⁄4 Tsp ground cumin
- 1⁄2 Tsp ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 Tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 Cups organic veg broth – or Bone Broth
- 3 Cups sprouted Lentils (easy sprout at home method below or buy Tru Roots organic brand)4 Cups green or Tuscan kale – spine removed cut into pieces
- Fresh Chopped parsley for topping
- 1/2 cup dry organic Brown or Black Lentils work best in soups, Green lentils for Salads and red lentils have a lighter flavor
- 2 cups water
- Heat the Extra-Virgin olive oil in large Dutch oven – or other heavy- bottomed stock pan. Add the onions and let some of the water cook out 1 minute. Add the carrots, celery, fennel, and turnip and sauté, stirring until the vegetables are softened about 3-4 mins. Stir in the garlic, Cumin, red pepper, coriander, and red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock or bone broth, the lentils, Fresh Thyme sprigs and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 25 – 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the Kale and simmer another few minutes until kale has softened. Taste and season with more sea salt and cracked black pepper if needed.
- Serve in large soup bowls top with tsp of fresh chopped parsley. You can store in refrigerator 3 days in mason jars.
- In a quart jar cover the dry lentils with water let sit overnight (or 8-12 hours)
- Drain, Rinse and drain again 2x3 Daily . Cover with mesh sprouting lid or cheese cloth and lie the mason jar on the side so the damp lentils can sprout.
- Make sure they are not sitting in water and continue to rinse. They look amazing and will be ready in 3 days.